Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I'm home.. what a week....

Ok so, I went into the ER with abdominal pain on my right side. The pain was in between my ribs and hip bone........ not ovaries and not under my ribs.
I meet with a dr in there and he tells me he wants to do a pelvic exam on me. WHAT? I come in with appendix issues an you want to put your hands where????? My pain is no where DOWN THERE! Ugh I hate dr's (sorry if any of you are dr's but when I'm the patient, I hate them). They just need to LISTEN to their patient's!!!
Everything kept coming out fine... urine, pelvic, no blood coming out of me anywhere (accept the IV). They drew blood and my white cell count was at 10.5 (11 means infection). So, after doing a bunch of piddly exams he finally did a CT scan and said "Yep it's your appendix and I've called in a surgeon tonight" I almost said "I told you it was my appendix" but thought I'd be nice in case he was assisting, lol.
I went from the ER to the operating room. So, yes I had my cell phone with me. rofl! No, I didn't take a picture of my appendix though. lol Now had they not knocked me out I probably would have asked if I could, though! LOL (Cheryl knows me too well, lol)
I got stuck sitting in the hall on my bed for like 30 minutes. We were waiting for the anesthesiologist. He went home early and was supposed to stay there until 9pm. My doc was TICKED! (surgeon not the other one in the ER, my surgeon was great!) I heard him YELLING and CURSING at the anesthesiologist for not being there and going home and "what if her appendix had ruptured!" My nurse caught the look on my face and I asked "did I do something to tick him off?" and she explained what happened and said "No honey, he's being your advocate right now" He was pretty cool. I got in the OR and lemme tell you what. I've been in the OR for friend's having a c/s or for nilmdts (and once for my gallbladder) but this time it was different. I started crying. The anesthesiologist had the nurse hold down my neck (almost like choking me) to put the tubes down my throat. She had her hand there before he knocked me out, too. He strapped my arms down and I told him I am closterfobic and he said "Oh it's just so you don't fall off the bed, it's no big deal' and I said "It SURE IS a BIG DEAL when you have closterfobia!" He shrugged his shoulders, rolled his eyes and just knocked me out. Needless to say he was rather rough with me.
I woke up to them stabbing me 3 more times for an IV. I was dehydrated and my vein's kept dying on them.my poor arm (and these are just 2 of the 6 iv marks I have).
Photobucket
My husband and Linda were waiting for me in my room when I got in there. It was so nice to know someone was outside waiting for me when I was finished with my surgery. I had been so scared going in the OR and crying and all and yet knowing they were there gave me some comfort.
They released me this morning. Yes, talk about getting you out the door asap..... I went directly to the school to pick my son up and home to the glider rocker. I didn't sleep well last night (I was up walking around and in pain so I couldn't sleep) and today I swear I keep nodding off when I'd do even tiny things. I think I've counted 6 times since writing this. So, I'm not on the computer right now... I mean I am to type this out but won't be just sitting here. I'm taking some time to heal properly.
Weird thing that happened... my cool surgeon talked to me today about the operation and said that my appendix had grown up to where my gallbladder was! He said he hadn't ever seen that. Which explains why my pain was where I said it was. So, who knows how long I was sick.
Ok so I'm heading to bed.
Love to all... thank you so much for the prayers.
Love,
Jennifer

No comments: